For the first time since it was enforced in May to contain the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), there are no more areas in Quezon City under Special Concern Lockdown (SCL).
This was announced by Mayor Joy Belmonte following the lifting of the last remaining SCL in Alleys 1 and 2 in Block 17, Barangay Bungad on Friday (Nov. 6).
The SCL imposed in some portions of Iba Street in Barangay Paang Bundok and three streets in Zytec Riosa Compound in Barangay Pasong Tamo was also lifted earlier this week.
“This is another positive development in our fight against the virus. This is another indication that we’re headed in the right direction, in addition to the drop in number of our active cases,” said Belmonte.
“Subalit muli kong ipinapaalala na hindi ito dahilan para tayo’y magpabaya at isantabi ang mga health protocol gaya ng pagsusuot ng face mask, face shield, paghugas ng kamay, at social distancing,” she added.
City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CESU) head Dr. Rolly Cruz said SCL is now unnecessary at this point since they have not monitored any more clustered cases in the city so far.
“Wala na tayong nakikitang posibleng local o community transmission sa mga lugar na ating binabantayan kaya hindi na kailangan ang SCL sa ngayon,” Dr. Cruz explained.
The city started enforcing SCL in May to contain the spread of the virus, initially placing 20 areas in five barangays under lockdown.
Since May, 68 areas with around 11,134 families were placed under SCL. The CESU conducted 9,020 swab tests in those areas, 1,230 of which came back positive.
“Those tested positive were immediately brought to HOPE facilities so as to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the communities,” Dr. Cruz said.
Dr. Cruz also called on barangay officials to continue their vigilance against those not complying with health protocols such as non-wearing of face masks and social distancing in public places, especially amidst the gradual relaxing of restrictions to jumpstart economic activity.