The confiscation of more than P500,000 worth of firecrackers has helped reduce dramatically the number of pyrotechnic-related injuries in Quezon City.
According to Mayor Joy Belmonte, the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) and the city’s Market Development and Administration Department (MDAD) seized various kinds of pyrotechnics worth P546,073.
“The intensified campaign against the sale and distribution of firecrackers has drastically reduced the number of firecracker-related injuries this year,” said Belmonte.
“Muli akong nagpapasalamat sa QCPD at MDAD sa kanilang sipag at dedikasyon para mapanatiling ligtas ang ating pagsalubong sa 2021,” she added.
Based on data from the Quezon City Health Department (QCHD), a total of seven fireworks-related injuries were reported by various hospitals in the city from Dec. 21, 2020 up to 6 a.m. of January 2, 2021.
Belmonte said the number is lower by 80 percent compared to the 35 firecracker-related incidents recorded during the same period last year. The ages of those involved ranged from 5 years to 44 years old.
“Three cases were caused by Kuwitis, the other three were caused by Piccolo which is illegal and the last case was caused by Pop-pop,” Belmonte said.
Two cases were recorded at East Avenue Medical Center and Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center while Saint Luke’s Medical Center, Quirino Memorial Medical Center and Chinese General and Medical Center had one case each.
No case of death, gunshot wound, stray bullet and firecracker ingestion was reported, the mayor added.
“Titingnan natin ang pitong insidenteng ito kung may nangyaring paglabag sa dalawang ordinansa ng siyudad na may kinalaman sa paggamit at pagbebenta ng paputok ay agad tayong magsasampa ng kaukulang kaso,” Belmonte said.
Belmonte earlier ordered the strict enforcement of Ordinance No. SP 2618, S-2017, which prohibits the use of firecrackers in public places, Ordinance No. SP-2587, S-2017, which outlaws the selling, giving and sharing of any type of firecracker to minor children and Metro Manila Council MMDA Resolution No. 20-17 prohibiting the individual and household use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices during
general community quarantine (GCQ).
Violators of these ordinances will be meted a fine of P5,000 or one-year imprisonment, or both at the discretion of the court.