ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
MS. MARIZA G. CHICO
Officer-in-Charge, City Librarian
The public library is a catalyst in planning for community development and in the continuous education of the people. It serves as an impartial, non-partisan and non-sectarian agency of information. Next to school, it is commonly called the People’s University. Likewise, the office takes charge of the acquisition, collection, organization, distribution, and preservation of books, non-book materials by purchase, donation, or gift to meet the needs of the reading public and for other purposes of the City Library; dissemination of information through books and non-book materials that promote the educational, economic, moral, social, and cultural well-being of the City populace; and facilitates/ supervises the use of the library as venue for audio-visual presentation in the community and other kinds of exhibition and activities aimed at increasing the literacy rate by government agencies, non-governmental organizations or private entities in the dissemination of information of general interest.
QCPL acquires its books, furniture and fixtures and equipment through city government’s funding. Other sources of books and other library materials are donations from other private organizations and civic minded individuals and also allocation from the National Library of the Philippines.
City Public Library was established on August 16, 1948, and was inaugurated on October 23, 1948, with no other than the First Lady Aurora A. Quezon as the guest of Honor and who cut the ceremonial ribbon. The library was first housed at then Quezon City Hall near the Ramon Magsaysay High School near Bernardo Park. In 1982, a separate library building at the back of the QC Hall civic center was constructed and was inaugurated on August 16, 1983. The library was housed in this building until 2017 and was again transferred to another new building near gate 3 in front of the Hall of Justice to give way to the construction of twin towers. It was then inaugurated on February 6, 2017. The library is a three-storey building, one of the best public library buildings in the country. It houses the administrative services section, Technical Division, Publication, Office of the City Librarian, Law Research and the Conference Room. The ground floor houses the reading area, E-gov services, MIS and Puppet room while the roof top has the library’s coffee shop. As of 2020, QCPL has total book collections of 84,458 volumes which were distributed in the different branch libraries.
The QCPL envisions itself to be a premier and world class public library, responsive to the information and research needs of the community.
Imbued with its Vision, the QCPL commits to:
- Provide quality resources and services to meet the changing needs of the community through the introduction of innovative techniques for the advancement of learning and literacy.
- Train and develop the staff to be equipped with the needed skills and competencies and strive to be an innovator in public library services.
- Foster strong linkage and partnership among government and non-government agencies both local and international.
The public library is a catalyst in planning for community development and in the continuous education of the people. It serves as an impartial, non-partisan and non-sectarian agency of information. Next to school, it is commonly called the People’s University.
- Facilitates informal self-education.
- Supports and complements research in all fields of endeavor.
- Provides bibliographic access to City’s information resources.
- Provides wholesome use of leisure time in a most conducive learning environment.
- Establish reading centers in barangays to serve those in depressed or remote areas.
- Uses bookmobiles to reach as many people as we can for story time and reading program.
- Performs print and digital publishing services. (Ordinance No. SP 2597, S-2017).
- All are requested to sign in at the guard’s log book before entering the library premises.
- All are requested to deposit their things/bags at the baggage counter. (Ordinance No. 1194, S-2002, Sec. 3)
- Please observe proper attire while inside the library premises. Mini shorts, miniskirts, sando or any revealing clothing are not allowed.
- All books shall be restricted within the confines of the Quezon City Public Library or its branches, except when such book will be used for research by QC government officials. Only fiction books are allowed for home reading for those who have valid QCPL issued library ID card.
- Vandalism/Tampering/ mutilating of the QCPL collections and other library properties are strictly prohibited. Any person guilty of such act will be banned to enter library premises or will be turned over to proper authorities.
- For security purposes, all deadly weapons are not allowed inside the library premises. They must be deposited to the guard on duty upon entering the library.
- All bags/belongings should be submitted for inspection by the guard on duty upon leaving the library premises.
- All are advised to observe proper decorum while inside the library premises.
DIVISIONS AND SECTIONS
READERS SERVICES DIVISION
Mary Ann L. Bernal
Law Research Section
Manica M. Cortes
Ernani A. Agulto
Filipiniana and Local History Section
Paulo Dominik Daulat
Rowena G. Garcia
Ana Katrina Honrade
LIBRARY EXTENSION DIVISION
Lucila R. Raquiño
Maria Cecilia R. Magnate
Educational & Recreational Section
Alistair Troy Lacsamana
TECHNICAL SERVICES DIVISION
Cherry M. Taruc
Ma. Victoria S. Manuel
Collection Development Section
Andrea Renee A. Teope
Binding and Preservation Section
Homer C. Pilar
Atty. Stephanie Siason-Contreras
Donna Mae G. Estoque
Human Resource and Management Section
Jennifer R. Leoncio
Records, Supplies, Inventory and Maintenance
Janet B. Alday
Management Information Services Section
Edward B. Bayani
Computer Operator II
DISTRICT LIBRARIES DIVISION
Analiza C. Martinez
District I Libraries:
Analiza T. Puno – District Coordinator
Contact No. 0905-523-4914
- Project 8 District Library –Road 15 cor. Road 19 Barangay Bahay Toro, Project 8, Quezon City
- Carla Marie S. Arceta – Library-in-charge
- Project 7 Branch Library –Bansalangin cor. Palomaria Street, Barangay Veterans, Quezon City
- Angeli M. Pascua- Library-in-charge
- Balingasa Branch Library –100 Balingasa Street, Barangay Balingasa, 2nd floor Ultra Court, Crisologo Bldg., Balintawak, Quezon City
- Rosel Esparrago – Library-in-charge
- Masambong Branch Library – 2nd Floor, Crisologo Bldg. Barangay Masambong, Quezon City
- Maribel A. Alnas- Library-in-charge
- Bagong Pag-asa Branch Library –Road 9 beside Basketball Court, Barangay Bagong Pag-asa, Quezon City (Under renovation)
- Andrew J. Caseda – Library-in-charge
District II Libraries
Chona C. Masbate – District Coordinator
Contact No. 0966-2720-6260
- Payatas Lupang Pangako District Library –Lupang Pangako, Barangay Payatas B, Quezon City
- Elisa Blanca Yulai – Library-in-charge
- Payatas Landfill Branch Library – Visayas Street, Group 3, Area B, Payatas, Quezon City (Under renovation)
- Rhim A. Culala – Library-in-charge
District III Libraries
Prima S. Alabata – District Coordinator
Contact No. 0927-474-1789
- Greater Project 4 District Library – P. Tuazon Ave. Barangay Marilag, Quezon City
- Mark Angelo M. Caldona- Library-in-charge
- Escopa II Branch Library– Escopa II proper, Infront of Basketball court, Barangay Escopa II, Quezon City
- Riena Jane M. Velasco- Library-in-charge
- Escopa III Branch Library-PUD Bliss, Barangay Escopa III, Quezon City
- Maribel M. Felonia – Library-in-charge
District IV Libraries
Jeniffer R, Adajo – District Coordinator
Contact No. 0942-388-2221
- Cubao District Library –Ground floor, Lion’s Int’l Building, Barangay Kamuning, Quezon City
- Ma. Carmen C. Chua- Library-in-charge
- Krus Na Ligas Branch Library – 2nd floor, Daza Hall, Barangay Krus na Ligas, Quezon City
- Reymark D. Felipe – Library-in-charge
- San Isidro Galas Branch Library- Ground floor, Barangay Hall, Barangay San Isidro-Galas, Quezon City
- Grace Ann M. Velez- Library-in-charge
- Roxas Branch Library – Jasmin Street, Barangay Roxas, Quezon City
- Edalyn F. De Guzman- Library-in-charge
District V Library
Eleanor M. Sampiano – District Coordinator
- Lagro Branch Library- 2nd floor, Susana Vargas Building, Ascension Road, Barangay Greater Lagro, Quezon City
- Raquel I. Lunar – Library-in-charge
District VI Libraries
Myrene M. Melanio – District Coordinator
Contact No. 0939-720-3749
- Pasong Tamo District Library- Luzon Ave. cor. Diego Street, Barangay Pasong Tamo, Quezon City
- Erlinda D. Carrera – Library-in-charge
- Talipapa Branch Library – 506 Quirino H-way Brgy. Talipapa Novaliches QC.
- Jeanette B. Balaoro – Library-in-charge
(Due to COVID-19 and considering NCR is still under the General Community Quarantine (GCQ), QCPL is still closed to the public but is now offering online and virtual library services to be able to continue serving its clientele)
ONLINE/VIRTUAL LIBRARY SERVICES (THRU QCPL FACEBOOK PAGE):
Celebration of Events
Educational Puppet Shows
Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC)
Staff training thru Webinars
QCPL Website (www.quezoncitypubliclibrary.org)
Essay Writing Contest
Spoken word poetry contest Reading Tutorials
QCPL Citizen Charter 2020