What is the StartUp QC Program?
The StartUp QC Program was envisioned to: (1) create new jobs and opportunities, (2) stimulate the entrepreneurial spirit, (3) promote innovation, and (4) strengthen the start-up culture in Quezon City.
The objective of the program is the formation of business hubs and centers that will inspire and empower QCitizens to build innovative business models that can help provide solutions to social issues and dilemmas.
The city government will give a grant to innovative startup ventures that are still at their early stages but have promising and viable products (or services) for execution. The program will have three (3) phases: evaluation, business model development, and product development, all with curated activities to mentor startup entrepreneurs, refine and finalize business models from conceptualization to implementation.
How do I apply?
You may register by logging in to https://qceservices.quezoncity.gov.ph.
Click the STARTUP QC PROGRAM, accomplish the E-application form then submit all the necessary requirements.
The Screening Committee will evaluate all the applications and an email confirmation will be sent to the email address provided with regards to the status of the application.
What are considered as startups?
A startup business is defined as: “any person or entity in the Philippines which aims to refine an innovative product, process, or business model” and may fall into one or a combination of the following categories, as prescribed under R.A. No. 11337 otherwise known as the “Innovative Startup Act”:
- Innovative Product – a good or service that is new or significantly improved in terms of technical specifications, component materials,software, user-friendliness, or other functional characteristics;
- Innovative Process – a new or significantly improved production or delivery method through changes in techniques, equipment, and/or software; and
- Innovative Business Model – a new organizational method in business practices, workplace organization, or external relations.
Which Startups are qualified?
Startup ventures that are in their early stages but have promising and viable products (or services) for execution that aim to provide solutions to social issues and challenges in the field of health, education, finance, information technology, and sustainability are highly encouraged. Startup applications outside these categories are still very much welcome.
Who can join the program?
Applicants of the Startup QC Program must be:
- At least 18 years of age
- Quezon City residents, or at least one (1) of the members must be a Quezon City resident
- All of the owners / incorporators / stockholders / organizers / partners, directors and/or officers must not have been convicted of any labor, civil, administrative, or criminal case.
- Must not be a relative to any member of the program committee, up to the 4th degree of consanguinity or affinity.
- Must have a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
What is a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)?
MVP is a basic working model or a version of a product with functional minimum features available to initial customers who can provide feedback and validate product ideas early in the development cycle.
The MVPs let the startups understand the direction to take by helping identify its issues, and come up with efficient and effective solutions for improvement. Based on the mentorship that will be acquired in the Business Development Phase, the startups will refine their MVP with additional functionalities.
What are the criteria for evaluation?
The criteria for the startups are as follows:
- Innovativeness and Creativity
- Is the product or service new or innovative?
- Is the process new or innovative?
- Is the business model new or innovative?
- Is the product , process and business model new in the local market or in the international market?
- How differentiated is it from existing solutions in the market?
- Sustainability and Viability
- Is the product, process and business model financially feasible?
- Is the business framework or model sound?
- Is the product , process and business model scalable and replicable?
- Is the product , process and business model technically feasible?
- How usable or use-friendly is the solution?
- Is this project responsive to a pressing social challenge/problem for which it was submitted?
- How much positive economic, social and/or environmental impact (quality and quantity) can this project have?
- Group composition and their ability to execute and perform in key domains.
- Do the group members have a track record of success?
- Are the group members experts in their fields?
What are the initial requirements to join the Program?
- E-Application Form;
- Valid Government issued ID
- 5-minute video pitch; and
- Maximum of 10 pages Business Proposal
*Additional requirements will be requested upon approval of the application.
How much will be awarded to the beneficiaries?
The maximum grant amount per business entry is up to Php 1,000,000.00 to launch their startup and ensure business continuity in the first few years of operation.
The Quezon City Local Government has the right to revoke the award if the winning participants do not follow the guidelines of the program.
How many startup applicants will be awarded a grant?
There is no fixed number of grants to be awarded. This will depend on the number of deserving startup ventures.
If I get selected, how long is the program?
The Business Development phase will run approximately 8 to 12 weeks.
The Product Development phase, (if awarded) can take up to1 year.
When does the application start? When is the deadline to submit applications?
StartUp QC is a rolling program and there will be multiple windows for sending entries. The first window of application for ready participants starts on October 28, 2022. The deadline to submit applications for this window will be on January 15, 2023.
You must be logged in to post a comment.