GIAN CARLO G. SOTTO
Before he was elected Vice Mayor, Gian Sotto was a 3-term Quezon City Councilor (2010 – 2019). He was Committee Chairman of Parks and Environment Protection, spearheading the formulation of many pioneering ordinances protecting the environment. Notable among these are the following:
- SP-2350, S-2014, an Ordinance providing for the Environmental Protection and Waste Management Code of Quezon City, which has no precedents in other local governments;
- SP-2397, S-2015, an Ordinance amending Ordinance SP-1512, S-2005, otherwise known as “An Ordinance creating the Quezon City Solid Waste Management Board”
- SP-2127, S-2012, an Ordinance prohibiting the use of plastic and styrofoam in Quezon City Hall complex, Novaliches District Center, Quezon City General Hospital and Novaliches District Hospital for efficient garbage disposal and to reduce risk to health and well-being.
- SP-2237, S-2013, an Ordinance mandating all markets (public and private), to install, maintain and operate a sewage treatment plant
- SP-2359, S-2014, an Ordinance mandating all barangays in Quezon City to include in their respective environmental programs and projects, the planting of native trees in their respective territorial jurisdiction to promote ecological balance and to provide wholesome environment and for other purposes
- SP-2245, S-2013, an Ordinance regulating the establishment and/or operation of private emission testing centers (petcs) within the territorial jurisdiction of Quezon City, providing penalties for violation thereof and for other purposes.
As Councilor, Vice Mayor Sotto was also Committee Chairman of Anti-Illegal drugs Committee of the Quezon City Council. The anti-illegal drugs campaign is an advocacy he shares with then Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte who spearheaded the highly awarded anti-illegal drugs programs of the city.
The following ordinances he sponsored boosted significantly the effectiveness of the city’s campaign to mitigate the use of illegal drugs and support the rehabilitation of drug users:
- SP-2337, S-2016, an Ordinance mandating the establishment of drug testing laboratories in the Quezon City General Hospital, Novaliches District Hospital, Quezon City Health Department, and the Quezon City Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation Center (Tahanan)
- SP-2539, S-2016, an Ordinance mandating business establishments within the territorial jurisdiction of Quezon City to adhere to a "drug-free Quezon City"
- SP-2540, S-2016, an Ordinance institutionalizing the Quezon City Integrated Drug-Abuse Profiling System (QC-IDAPS)
- SP-2586, S-2017, an Ordinance establishing the expanded parameters for the “declaration of a drug cleared barangay”
COLLEGE : University of Asia and the Pacific
Year Graduated: 2001
Course: Entrepreneurial Management
SECONDARY : Ateneo De Manila University
PRIMARY : Ateneo De Manila University
Year Graduated: 1993
Vice Mayor Gian Sotto is also known for the many programs and support activities he extends to indigent communities, including livelihood, feeding programs, health and medical aid, and various social services programs.
Being Christ-centered, standing up for the family and taking public service to heart are the traits that he shares with his father, Senate President Vicente “Tito Sen” Sotto III.