Under Ordinance SP No. 2766, series of 2018, restaurants and food establishments in the city are required to provide a 20 percent discount on the total bill of a solo parent and his/her children. This is in addition to other benefits such as educational, medical and livelihood assistance, among others.
The discount will be available every first and last Sunday of the month, for single or accumulated receipts not exceeding PhP 2,000 for the registered solo parent.
Under the measure, restaurants and food establishments shall also be allowed to claim the discounts as deductions on the payment of their annual business tax, which amounts to 1.75 percent of gross receipts in the preceding calendar year.
The QC Social Services Development Department was tasked to implement the said ordinance.
The ordinance is pursuant to Republic Act 8972 or the Solo Parents Welfare Act, which mandates government agencies to offer discounts and benefits to solo parents suffering economic difficulties.
Aside from the 20 percent discount, solo parents in Quezon City enjoy the following benefits:
For Solo Parents BELOW Poverty Threshold
- Livelihood/Skills training programs and services (DOLE, TESDA, DSWD)
- Educational services for solo parents and their children (DepEd, TESDA, CHED)
- Essential health services for solo parents and their children (barangay health centers and hospitals)
- Housing assistance/services for qualified solo parents under the eligibility requirement of the National Housing Authority (NHA)
For Solo Parents ABOVE Poverty Threshold
- Employment-related benefits (both private and government sector)
* Flexible working schedule
* Protection against work discrimination
* 7 days parental leave in one year (must have rendered services for at least one year) with full pay, consisting of basic salary and mandatory allowances
- Housing assistance for solo parents who are members of Government Funding Institutions (GFI) such as GSIS, SSS, and HDMF/PAGIBIG provided that they qualify under the GFI’s eligibility requirement and respective program of availment/implementing guidelines
Expanded Benefits for Solo Parents in Quezon City
- Individual, peer, and family counseling
- Positive Discipline seminar
- Parent Effectiveness seminar
- Critical Incidence Stress debriefing
- Self-concept Building programs
- Crisis Management and Spiritual Enrichment
- Referral for legal, health, and burial assistance
- Livelihood/vocational trainings and Seed Capital assistance through SB-ECO
- Educational assistance for indigent Solo Parent and their children
- Employment referrals through QC PESO