
The Quezon City government announced on Monday that it is now finalizing its talks with a reputable multinational pharmaceutical company for its acquisition of an initial 750,000 doses of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccines.
“We are ready to purchase. After implementing our test, isolate, and treat strategy, vaccination is our game plan now. This free vaccination program will definitely complete our efforts against this deadly virus,” Mayor Joy Belmonte said.
The city government will prioritize its 10,000 health workers, 300,000 senior citizens, 20,000 adult persons with disabilities, and other priority sectors as recommended by the World Health Organization.
As announced last December, the city has allocated an initial P1 billion in its 2021 budget to purchase
vaccines and supplies needed for the inoculation.
The mayor added that the budget allocated may go higher depending on cost of the vaccines, supplies and other factors.
“As soon as we have rolled out this vaccination program, we will definitely prepare for the next distribution and budget.”
QC Task Force on COVID-19 Head Joseph Juico assures Quezon City residents that the city government is fast tracking deals and partnerships for the COVID-19 vaccines.
“The deal will be completed anytime soon with one of the leading pharmaceutical companies. With a sealed partnership, we can immediately secure thousands of vaccines for our people,” Juico said.
Juico added that the vaccines will undergo the proper process and documentation including the approval of the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) for emergency use authorization.
The city government also created the Task Force Vax to Normal last month, which will lead the inoculation program. While preparing for the vaccines, the city health department is also looking at the implementation and distribution of these vaccines, similar to the existing vaccination programs on polio and pneumonia.
The city is now reviewing and finalizing the database of those in the priority list.
###