Joint operatives of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) and Quezon City government’s Market Development and Administration Department (MDAD) have confiscated some P128,000 worth of firecrackers as part of the crackdown against the use of firecrackers and pyrotechnics to welcome the New Year.
“Nagpapasalamat tayo sa ating kapulisan at MDAD sa walang pagod nilang trabaho para maipatupad ang kautusan na layong gawing ligtas ang pagsalubong sa 2021,” said Mayor Joy Belmonte.
“Mula noong Miyerkules ay tuluy-tuloy silang nag-iikot sa siyudad para kumpiskahin ang mga ibinebentang tindang paputok at pailaw,” she added.
Belmonte ordered the strict enforcement of Ordinance No. SP 2618, S-2017, which prohibits the use of firecrackers in public places.
The order was also issued in compliance with Metro Manila Council MMDA Resolution No. 20-17, banning individual and household use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices during general community quarantine (GCQ) issued last December 28, 2020.
According to QCPD District Director, PBGen. Danilo Macerin, the amount of firecrackers seized was lower compared to last year due to the community quarantine and the ban on the use of firecrackers and pyrotechnics.
“So far, wala pa tayong naaaresto at nasasampahan ng kasong criminal. Mostly nahuhuli natin ay sellers lang kaya confiscation lang ang ginagawa natin,” Macerin said.
Macerin said those who will be caught using firecrackers will be meted P5,000 fine and imprisonment of one year, based on Ordinance No. SP 2618. They will be subjected to other penalties and/or fines as stipulated in the Metro Manila Council resolution.
The QCPD chief also called on the public to report firecracker use through their landlines 925-84-17 and 0917-861-1870. The public may also call the city’s hotline 122.
Meanwhile, Gen. Elmo San Diego, head of the Department of Public Order and Safety (DPOS), said he will deploy personnel in the venues granted permits by the Inter-Agency Task Force for Infectious Disease for community fireworks displays, namely in Eastwood City and Quezon Memorial Circle.
“In a break from tradition, the annual fireworks display at the Quezon Memorial Circle will be virtual, and strictly no individuals will be allowed inside the park to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease,” assured Belmonte. “Instead, this will be livestreamed on Facebook.”
“On the other hand, DPOS will be deployed in Eastwood City to be on guard against mass gatherings,” said San Diego.
San Diego added that all members of the QC Law and Order cluster are placed on heightened alert.