The Quezon City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (QCESU) is calling on the residents of the city to proactively report to them if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if they have come into close contact with individuals who have tested positive.
“We highly encourage our people to continue reporting cases so we can effectively reach out to them and provide necessary assistance. This collaborative effort will help us mitigate the spread of the virus and further reduce the number of cases,” said CESU Head Dr. Rolly Cruz, stressing the importance of reporting COVID-19 cases in order to facilitate, identify and isolate potential contacts.
To report COVID-19-related concerns, residents can reach out to QCESU through their official Facebook page and contact tracing hotlines: 8703-2759, 8703-4398, 0999-229-0751, 0908-639-8086, and 0931-095-7737.
In light of a recent slight increase in the number of COVID-19 cases within the city, Dr. Cruz also reminded QCitizens to adhere to health protocols.
Cruz advised individuals who are feeling unwell or experiencing symptoms such as fever, cough, or runny nose to immediately isolate themselves for a period of five days and refrain from leaving their homes or going to work. He further urged them to contact the QCESU contact tracing team to avail of free COVID-19 testing.
Additionally, individuals who choose to stay indoors or find themselves in crowded areas are strongly encouraged to wear masks.
“We urge our QCitizens to make informed decisions regarding face masks. While the current national policy allows voluntary usage of face masks in indoor and outdoor spaces, we continue to advise the public to wear masks, especially in crowded areas where the risk of virus transmission is high,” said Cruz.
Recent data from QCESU indicates a significant increase in the number of cases last week, with the figures rising to 1,057 cases between May 8 and May 14 from 810 cases between May 1 and May 7. The average positivity rate of the current week has also risen to 29.9 percent from the previous rate of 26.2 percent.
Cruz clarified that although confirmed cases continue to rise, the occupancy of reserved COVID-19 hospital beds remains relatively low at around 35.5 percent. Further, the three local government-owned hospitals have only reported one to two severe and critical admissions to date.